Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Positive Test Prep

More Linky Party fun, maybe I can do one for each day of week!  Ms. Wainwright over at The Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher is having a Test Prep Linky Party.  I am sure many of us have lots of great strategies for test prep and many of our kids totally get it.  What I really wanted was to pump them up and build their confidence.  So many of them had such anxiety over the whole testing process, that even though they know it, they freak themselves out.

A week or two before we start testing, I ask parents to send a note school, encouraging their child.  I send home fancy paper, envelopes, and some suggestions of things to say.  They give the paper to family members, who write letters to their little test taker.  When the student goes to start their test I give them their letters, to read before they begin.


















I send a lengthy letter.  The first side is all about the test and other things they might want to know about how state testing works. 





The second page is a list of suggestions for creating the best supportive environment for students.

























The day of the test, I give students this positive paper.  We read it together, and then I tell them to keep it next to their space and refer to it, when something seems tricky.
And these little papers with some test strategies, also to put next to their space as a tool during testing.












Happy Testing,
Laurie


5 comments:

  1. I love the little notes from home and your quick tips for creating a positive test taking mind set!!!! This is great, I will be adding some of this to my test taking binder : ) Thank you so much for joining us!

    Ms. Wainwright
    thediaryofanotsowimpyteacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have never heard of this idea and you can guarantee I will be using it in the future!

    Misty
    @ Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids really loved getting the letters from their parents.

      Delete
  3. Great advice! Please consider accepting my invitation to link up your awesome blog post at the TEST PREP LINKY PARTY being hosted at
    http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/2013/04/test-prep-linky-party.html.
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete