Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Symbols Here, Symbols, There

We started our American Symbols unit today.  Before we can figure out what our National Symbols are we needed to figure out what a symbol is....so of course we made a chart.  First we figured out what a symbol is, then we thought of all the symbols we see in our community.....Target, McDonald's and the University of Oregon were some popular choices!
Starbucks was included, of course
We also have Symbol groups and are working together to earn points.  Apparently, I have quite the competitive class.  It is amazing how motivating "points" are. 

Then we read Robert Sabuda's America.  This is one of the most beautiful pop-up books.  That man has a gift!

The little book on the left even opens up with more little pop-up pictures.
 More symbols funness to come,
Laurie

5 comments:

  1. I've awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Come to my page to check it out!

    Sara :)

    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of finding symbols in the community first - what an awesome way to connect to the kids' world! Y'all thought of/found a lot of great ones! I'll be sure to do something similar next year when I teach a similar social studies concept! Thanks for the idea! I am pinning it on my Super Social Studies board now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, i LOVE all things lady liberty and have NEVER seen this book! THANK YOU for the inspiration! (i spy with my little eyes a project about a hand grasping a torch. ahem) thanks for sharing and thanks for leading me to your blog!
    joanna @ we heart art
    www.ourartlately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime. Glad to share a new book. I will look forward to seeing a new Lady Liberty project.

    ReplyDelete