Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Oh Canada.....

Spring Break is halfway done!  How did that happen?  My brother and I spent four days in and around Vancouver, British Columbia.  He really really wanted a passport stamp (I tried telling him they don't do that anymore).  I really really didn't want to give up a weekend of spring break.  Did I mention that next weekend is a junior high overnight retreat, so I am losing both weekends of spring break sleeping?  Anyhow, because I am such a wonderful sister, I went along with this crazy plan.  
Here are some discoveries...
1. I have an addiction to diet bubbly pop.  Canada does not do bubbly pop, everywhere I went the pop was always flat, my current theory has to do with the kind of sugar.
2.  High School is known as Secondary School.
3.  Hockey Game Concessions...Potato Chips=French Fries.
4.  Everyone in downtown Vancouver was wearing boots or running gear...I kid you not!
5.  At Stanley Park at least as many people were rollerblading as biking.  I can't even remember the last time I saw a pair of rollerblades!


















6.  During previously mentioned Hockey Game, everyone sings along with the singing of Canada's National Anthem.  It was pretty cool...I have been to a LOT of baseball games and I have never heard anyone sing along.
7.  They have a coin called a loonie.  How fun is that!?
8. Smarties are a candy I do not like...however in Canada Smarties look like this and are chocolate!
9.  It is beautiful beautiful country, sunny and warm, green, mountain-y.
10.  Flipping my car from mph to kph was pretty exciting.  (yes I am that easily amused)
11.  Unfortunately I did not see Shawn or Gus (for you Pysch fans) or any of the Fringe cast, but I did keep my eyes peeled for them.
 











Someday I will actually make it to Victoria B.C (I could not convince my brother to get there) and Prince Edward Island...the Anne Shirley tourist trap.  

But for now am glad I am back home with my nook, a blanket, and a warm fire!










Also, I think (hope) I fixed my blog button....please let me know if it is still not functioning.
Happy Wednesday,
  

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy the rest of your break!

    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just HAD to comment and LAUGH! 'cause I live in Victoria and I think I was in Vancouver the same time you were. Your comments are very funny .... but we DO have bubbly pop! Not sure where you were buying yours, but trust me, it's the same :) Isn't it great how many cyclists, runners and roller bladers there are? Victoria and Vancouver are probably the fittest cities in Canada!
    Take care and come again :))
    Barb
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good time. While we were there, the weather was gorgeous. My brother is an obnoxious traveler and no amount of arguing could convince him to visit Victoria. His goal was hockey:-)

      Delete
  3. I love those Smarties! My Oma in Germany sends them to me somtimes.


    Yes, you need to visit Victoria sometime because it's so beautiful!


    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean you don't have Smarties in the US??? Another thing you guys are missing out on! Hehehe!
    Did you know that we also have a coin called the Toonie? (It is worth 2$)

    I live in Montreal, Canada. This post was hilarious to me ;)

    Btw, have you joined my linky party yet? If not, come check it out ;)

    ✿Valerie
    All Students Can SHINE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have smarties...but they are more like sweet tarts, that dissolve in your mouth. And how could I have forgotten the toonie? How do you all carry around all the coins!?

      Delete
    2. Well, nobody carries change anymore. It's debit cards :) 'cause yeah! those toonies and loonies are HEAVY! Did you like our colourful paper money? It looks totally fake compared to the rest of the world.

      ❀Barbara❀
      Grade ONEderful

      Delete
  5. HA! Love this post! Us Canadians sure do take our hockey seriously..lol. Glad you enjoyed the true North:)

    I am from Toronto...another GREAT canadian city you should check out:)

    Lou
    Pencils with Pizzazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We met a really nice lady from Toronto. She was visiting as well:-)

      Delete
  6. I want to try THOSE Smarties!!! Anything with chocolate and a candy shell and I am IN!!!
    Staci

    Going Nutty!

    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, awesome! I'm from outside Toronto - really enjoyed your descriptions. I've never been to BC but it's on the list of places to go! Glad you enjoyed your time.
    - Amanda
    Inspired in Second

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this. I love to go visiting in Canada. Victoria is one of my favorite places. I hope you make it there another time. It's a nice place to be in the summer. I haven't been there for quite a few years. I loved reading your descriptions of things in Canada. Glad you have had a fun Spring Break.

    I have a brother that's really into hockey, too. One time, while in high school, our family went to Canada. We drove to a hockey shop and dropped off Mom and my brother. (We couldn't find parking.) They went in to buy him some hockey gear since the price was better in Canada. He played on a couple of teams. Now, years later, his son played hockey in middle school and high school. His younger son is just starting to play.

    Your fellow Oregon blogger,

    Diane
    The Teacher's Jungle

    ReplyDelete