Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baseball and Books

So the World Series starts tonight.  Let me be clear...I am a Dodger fan.  Always have been and always will be.  There is no possible way for me to root for the Giants.  So by default, I am cheering on the Tigers (and my friend Jenny is in Michigan.)  Unfortunately, this makes one of my students unhappy he is a huge Giants fan...we lovingly call each other "frenemies".  Here is the letter he wrote me today:

"Dear Miss Foote,
I really think the Giants are going to beat the Tigers.  Even though Miguel Cabrera has the Triple Crown, the Giants have the 2010 Rookie of the Year, Buster Posey.  It does not matter if they have the best rotation because the Giants have won six straight elimination games.  Please root for the Giants.
Go Giants."

So funny...I may have to borrow my brother's Will Clark jersey.

Enough baseball, onto other class related items.  In Reading Round-Up (where everyone goes to 30 minutes of leveled reading instruction) we are working on characters, using Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books.  As we read our book, we added post it notes to the anchor chart.  We kept track of a character, a description, and where we could prove it using the book.  Then I copied their post-its onto the chart.
Once we finish our book, we are making character trading cards.  We looked at a few baseball card for ideas and then went to work.  I think they are pretty great:-)
Ralph from The Mouse and the Motorcycle

 Ramona
 Fudge, from Fudge-a-Mania
Happy Wednesday,

1 comment: