Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mid-Day Saturday Saying

One of my favorite parts of Saturday or from Tammy at Forever in First.  Every Saturday Tammy posts an inspirational quote.  Tammy's quotes generally come from books...professional type ones.  Mine is from a tv show...it still counts, right?
I was recently introduced to the wold of Gilmore Girls...I love it, but this part of Rory's Graduation Speech PERFECTLY explains what I dream for every reader in my class.  Without opportunities to read, my students will never be a resident of any other worlds.  Donalyn Miller, author or The Book Whisperer, may be my hero when it comes to student reading.  She re-inpsired me to know my readers, so I can inspire and help readers access and reside in the worlds of the books they read.

Happy Saturday Saying...go visit Tammy and find more inspiration there.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Laurie for a great Saturday Saying. I'll add you to my post today. I love your company!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Rory Gilmore! Love books and where they take me.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is a very cool quote and exactly how I feel about reading, too. Love that you took a TV quote -- thinking outside the box :))
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great quote! I love The Book Whisperer too and will have to check out her new book. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful quote. I love Gilmore Girls! I'll have to check out The Book Whisperer - I'm hoarding books right now trying to read more! :)

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is perfect! I haven't seen that show since it first aired-I might have to check it out again. That is also how I want my kids to view reading-not so much as a chore, but as an adventure! That's a hard task especially if they are a struggling reader.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this awesome post on Saturday? I love Saturday Sayings, too. The Book Whisperer is one of my bedside table books that I refer to often.
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete