Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bird Research

Have you heard of the book, Significant Studies for Second Grade?  It is on my top ten professional book list!  The first half of the book is reading investigations and the second half is writing.  The non-fiction reading and writing work are fantastic and so practical!  We have been studying non-fiction text features and how to read non-fiction, so today we started collecting information about our bird, using books and the internet.  

 
Last week, I had every student pick a bird they were interested in learning more about.   Everyone needed to choose a different bird, so when we put all the work together, we will have a book of 27 different birds.  





I checked out one of our mobile lab carts and students went to www.allaboutbirds.org to find information about their bird.  Once we found information we needed we recorded it on our data sheet.  Click here for a link to the page we used to record data.  

Carrying our laptops like lunch trays!
 













And returning them carefully to the cart.






Happy Wednesday,
 

7 comments:

  1. With the extra focus on non-fiction in the Common Core, I will definitely have to check out this book! I've never even heard of it before, so thanks for sharing!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to do a bird project next week! I'm happy for the research form...Thank you! I love allaboutbirds.org! I use it for my own personal birding research. Have you showed your students the Red Tailed Hawk's nest via the live web-cam? You can get to it through all about birds. The third egg should hatch tomorrow!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word....we are ADdIcTed to those web cams! I look forward to seeing your bird projects.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book ! Do you think it would be good for a grade one teacher?
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could easily be modified for 1st grade. The book is more of a way to plan out the units and gives 2nd grade examples of what things look like. I even adapt some stuff, because some of my kiddos need a bit more direction to help them along:-)

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks. I'll look into it:)
      Barbara

      Delete