Monday, July 16, 2012

Just Another Monday Made It

 

More projects to check off the list and share the Monday Made It Linky Party.  
PROJECT 1:  Measurement Dice
I am adding an element to calendar each day.  "Monday Measurement", "Tuesday Time & Tally", etc)  For measurement, I made three dice.  I found some blocks in a tub buried in the back of my math cupboard.  One block for each of the measurement categories (volume, distance, mass).  Then I typed words that matched the category and modge-podged them onto the six sides of the block.
The plan, running through my head, is to roll each dice during calendar.  Whatever the dice says is what we will measure.  So if we roll "cups" then we will use a container and see how many cups will fill it.  In our journals, we will also record other materials cups would be an appropriate tool to use.  We will do this for each of the dice, so we experience each of the types of measurement.  Because I have 2nd and 3rd next year, this should allow both grades to learn the measurement piece of common core.  If you are able to use the measurement labels, click here.

PROJECT 2:  Clip Chart
The clip chart I have used in my room for years.  It was rainbow colored and worked perfectly fine....but it didn't have polka dots and it didn't match the classroom....time for a makeover
I printed out the phrases "flipped" style and glued them onto a background color.  The green polka dots are plates.  Then I tied all the plates together with green ribbon and hot glued the whole thing to a yard stick. 

Using the same style letters and a larger plate, I made up a title, and can't wait to take it back to school!
What have you been making?  Linky up!
Happy Monday,
 

19 comments:

  1. I love your measurement dice idea!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your polka dotted clip chart! What a great idea!! :)

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought of using plates for the clip chart, but what a fabulous idea! I love it!!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through pencils, books, and dirty looks's blog. I love how you used the paper plates!!! I'm going to do that for my I PICK "poster" near my library! I'm your newest follower.

    Stop by my blog if you have a chance:

    Grade Three is the Place for Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the PLATES! So creative!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I am your newest follower! I am a new blogger and love connecting with other teachers!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea using plates! So cute!! I'll be starting my use of the clip chart this year too...excited for it! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new blogger as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the Made It Monday linky party! I think your clipchart turned out great!! Thanks for the idea on using mod podge to create customized dice from wooden blocks.
    Your newest follower :),
    Antonia @ forkin4th

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those plates and labels are really cute! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had a clip chart, but I'm thinking about it now! Yours looks great!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plates were such a great idea! And the labels, swoon . . . . Love it.

    Megan

    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea to use plates for the clip chart! Super cute!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors of the clip chart, fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your twist on the clip chart! Fun and colorful!! Love your dice for calendar time too! Great idea! Thanks for linking up:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great spin on the behavior clip chart!! Very creative! :)

    Leslie
    Miss R's Room

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the measurement dice idea! Measurement is always one of those standards we rush through but this activity will give the students an opportunity to practice the skill more often! I was thinking about the plates and wondering if they could be linked together to make large dice! Or use small plates for smaller dice?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am new to your blog...I am suppose to tell you an owl sent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think you are number 300! Thanks for visiting...I am a huge fan of a certain Owl:-)

      Delete
  18. Oh my goodness! I LOVE both of these ideas. I know I just commented on another post, but this was too great not to say anything. I just made a clip chart using polka scrapbook paper, but I'm seriously loving the polka dot plates. Now I think I want to change mine. Ha!

    ReplyDelete