Sunday, July 1, 2012

Classroom Jobs

Everyone has classroom jobs, right?  There are some adorable bulletin boards all revolving around classroom responsibilities.  When I began teaching, I had a cute section just for putting jobs up and matching students.  We would change jobs every two weeks....and I don't even want to think about the amount of time used to change jobs.  Then it would take a week for students to remember their new jobs.....all of this drove me nuts after a few years.  


Here is what I have done for the past two years.  It is not cute....it does not create a cute bulletin board.  
On the first school day of the month, students choose a job. I pass the papers around the room, or sometimes have students choose a job when they come in, in the morning.  They keep their job for a month.  That way they still have three weeks to practice:-)  At the start of the next month, when we change again, they teach the incoming people how to do their old job.  


Thoughts....how are you all of you amazing teachers using jobs in your class?


Happy Sunday,
 

9 comments:

  1. What is a fluoride tray?

    I have 4 basic jobs - they rotate weekly - messenger, custodian, line leader and caboose. I have a cute little display with those four jobs and the kids names on cards. I just rotate the name cards in and out each Monday.
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our school does fluoride every day. I put the fluoride in an ice cube tray and then the fluoride person takes the tray to the people who forget to grab their fluoride pill in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Courtney
    3rd Grade Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I am returning to 2/3 next year, so needing to find 3rd grade blogs.

      Delete
  3. It takes a lot of people to make a class run smooth.I’m your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.

    Shanell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so need to follow these comments. I'm terrible at this. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf this school year!

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    p.s. Love that cute little birdie of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only change jobs every nine weeks, but the students get to apply for their jobs, which help! I'm with you- changing jobs every week is a mess!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you! I assign 1 job for each student and they are responsible for it all year! I hated wasted precious minutes changing jobs & training new kiddos!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything to make the classroom run smoother is what I say, and this looks like it would make having classroom jobs a lot simpler.

    ReplyDelete