Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fractions and Literature

The Math and Literature series by Marilyn Burns is one of my favorite math teaching tools.  The book suggests books and lessons that tie math and story together.  Kids come up with al kinds of ideas to explain because they have such an unstructured way to respond to the math prompt.  The story form gets kids who often get stuck a different way to think about math concepts.   
This lesson was all about how to equally share cookies based on an event from Little House in the Big Woods.


Happy Wednesday,


1 comment:

  1. I know I have that book in my cabinet at school!! I don't think I've ever looked closely enough. I'm so glad you blogged about it! And I LOVE the Little House books, so this couldn't be more up my alley. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete