Sunday, March 17, 2013

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

My 3rd graders are starting the reading portion of the state test this week.  We have been working on lot of test taking strategies.  More importantly, I have been working on ways to prop them up!  Half of the work is knowing you can do and not stressing out.  I posted about some of the ways I try to encourage students once before.  You can check it out here.  Parents are sending in encouraging letters for students to read before they begin.

This year, I had my 2nd graders do some work to encourage their 3rd grade friends.  I told them it was a secret project and explained a bit about the test the third graders were going to be taking.  Then when parent volunteers were at school, they took 2nd graders into the hall and worked on the "Secret" project.  My 2nd graders were loving getting to have more info. than the 3rd graders:-)

First each 2nd grader picked a 3rd grader and made them a water bottle label.
Then in a big group, they all made a giant poster....it will be so useful in covering up some of our not-allowed anchor charts:-)
Love that they tried to make both Duck and Beaver fans happy in their color choice.
What do you all do for the ridiculousness of standardized testing?  For more ideas check out this linky party.
Happy Sunday,

6 comments:

  1. That's so sweet.
    I teach grade one. No testing EVER for us. YAY!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AMAZING idea! We have worked with our 3rd graders all year trying to get them involved in "secret service" activities. I think this is a great idea to have them to for their fellow classmates and grade level-mates. Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Erin
    http://adventuresinthirdgrade-brown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kindness and caring being taught. Thanks for sharing this.

    Kimberley
    1stinmaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome!! We are doing testing this week, too! My kids see it as a fun game...Gotta love first graders!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie,
    What a sweet, sweet idea. :) Thanks for sharing!
    So glad I found you through the Test Prep Linky. I'm a new follower. :)

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete