Thursday, June 19, 2014

Reading in the Wild Chapter 1

If you have not heard of Donalyn Miller, stop reading this post and go to the library or book store right now.  Find a copy of The Book Whisperer and Reading in the Wild and read them.  Then come back and join the summer book study for Reading in the Wild

 Here are your chapter 1 hosts:
http://thirdgradebookworm.blogspot.com/2014/06/reading-in-wild-wild-readers-dedicate.htmlhttp://thinkwonderteach.com/2014/06/reading-in-the-wild-chapter-1.html
The first chapter is about dedicating time to read....not just in your classroom, but in everyday life.  I really like what Donalyn calls, "Edge times".  Read when you wait for the car people, read when you are at a siblings soccer practice, etc.  I love the idea of having kids come up with a list of places that may provide "edge times".   Oh my gosh...could an edge time be waiting in line at recess?  (Could I give up control and let them take a book outside)  Something to think about..... Last summer, while in New York, the 30 minutes Subway ride was my daily edge time in the midst of a busy vacation. 

Kids could also share about how to make edge times happen.  Do they make sure they always have a book with them...in the car, in their bag.  They take their ipods everywhere...do they have a reading app on it?  Books at their fingertips.  My purse buying criteria always involves whether or not it can hold at least one book.  

Chapter 1 Application to Classroom:
Anchor Charts-
"Where Can Readers Read...for a Long While?"
"Where Can Readers Read...for a Short While (Edge Time)?"
"What Tools Do Readers Need to Read During Edge Times?"

What do you think?  When to you cram in some reading time?  What are your reading plans this summer?

Happy Thursday,

8 comments:

  1. I always worry about my books during those edge times, too! Do I really want students reading in the line for the bathroom. What if they don't wash their hands or get a book wet??? Hahaha - I know I need to let go a little bit, but still, they're questions that haunt me - ha! :) I'm so glad your joining, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciated the talk about edge times as well...I've given in and let my students take my books home and all so I guess bringing them to the bathroom or recess or lunch wouldn't be that much different. I just hope they come back but if not, I just hope someone is reading them! At our school, dismissal is a huge time killer that could be utilized better.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love the idea of reading in the edge times but I also wonder if it will cause other behavioral issues. I had that problem with one of my third graders. I could not get her to stop reading. While great she was failing writing and math.

    Misty
    www.thinkwonderteach.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book. I've barely started, but I'm so engulfed in my fiction edge times that I haven't gotten back to it. I love having a book with me in the car by the way. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession.

    I have a mini-panic attack every time a kid asks me if they can take a book to lunch. I know what they do at lunch!!! :)

    Being 7 months pregnant, reading is at the top of my to-do list for the summer. I'm trying to plow through my 2014 Reading Challenge of 30 books. I'm a third of the way there, but I'm hoping to knock out several during our break. My little man gets here in September and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to read then! :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    Abby
    Third Grade Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in! I've got that book, but I've been waiting for summer to pick it up. I have students who take books to lunch and read aloud to each other. It fills my heart with pride and my eyes with tears! I wonder if kids could put a book where they line-up after recess. Then they wouldn't be pushing to be first and could just pick up their book and start reading. I can't wait until August....Well maybe I can! I missed you!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also a fan of those books. I actually have loaned them out to other people or I'd reread them and join along! :) People make fun of me for always having a book in my bag, but for example when I had a flat and had to get the tire replaced and was waiting almost over an hour....it was lucky I had that book with me. I let kids read in line to the restroom-it's just a separate set of books! :)

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't aware of this book. Glad you're sharing it!

    ReplyDelete