Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's Coming! It's Coming!

Read Across America Week is my FAvOrItE!  Our school is waiting until March 4th to celebrate, but for those of you planning...here are some highlights I look forward to (besides reading of course)!

Socks and Stripes day are fun......





but last year we added "Read My Shirt" Day and look at all the participation.  Tammy @ Forever in First turned the shirts into a class book!

Then we had potato characters.  Our potatoes turned into book characters.  Students brought them in all week and then Friday we had a parade.  Hagrid, Fly Guy, Fancy Nancy, Splat the Cat, The Cat in the Hat, Gluk, Pippi Longstocking, Rainbow Fish, Edward Tulane, and TONS more all showed up to celebrate.

What plans do you have going on for Read Across America Day?

Happy Thursday,

5 comments:

  1. I love all of your ideas! We are a uniform school, but the 1st Friday of every month the kids get a chance to wear "regular" clothes. I think that is March 1, so maybe we do the read my shirt. Love it!

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such fun ideas! Can't wait for Read Across America to have a lot of fun!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized this special day was around the corner. How did it arrive so quickly? Your potatoes are great! (Thanks for the shout out.)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Read Across America! I'm glad I have now! Those potatoes...SWEET...I'm going to be doing that!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete