Thursday, November 8, 2012

Does Your School Have a Cuss Club?

Yep, that is right a Cuss Club...not Chess....Cuss!

This is not the post I had planned for today...but well how can you not blog about a cuss club?  It started Wednesday with a group of girls at recess.  No one is quite sure what goes on at the cuss club, but it was immediately disbanded.  After some investigation the group ringleader tried to convince us silly teachers that it was a "custom" club.  Although they did not know what custom meant or how it could be a club.  After this whole ordeal some of us teachers thought about joining said, Cuss Club. 

The next day effects of the Cuss Club spread and two more students were caught using some words would allow them membership into the club (if it had not already been disbanded.) 
Scenario 1:  On our way in from recess.
Whole Class:  "Sierra said the "f" word at recess!"
Sierra:  "I did not!" (said in a defiant and pouty voice)
Charlie:  "What is the "f" word?  Fail?"  (so cute....not going to educate him on correct "f" word)
Sierra:  "I was saying fox.  We were playing a game."
Miss Foote:  "Let me go ask Andrea (who was also playing the game) what the name of the game is."
Sierra:  "No, I wasn't really saying fox.
Miss Foote:  "Oh good, because the only game I know with fox in the title is, "What Time is it Mr. Fox.  I have never heard of Fox Freeze."
(Student cries and I get to give her minor alert.)

Scenario 2: 
Found a minor alert on my desk about a student saying the "a" word at recess.
Student takes minor alert home.
Minor alert is returned to school with parent annotation.  See below picture:
Apparently, if your initials are similar to the "a" word, then of course you would go around saying that throughout recess.  Definitely not something inappropriate.

Oh good grief!  I don't even think I knew what cuss words were in 2nd or 3rd grade.  I did go to daycare and kids would say things like, "hold your tongue and say truck or apple" However, I never figured out the point of that until 6th or 7th grade.

And then another challenging Chickadee wraps his arms around me and says, "You the best teacher ever, Miss Foote."  So I forget the Cuss Club and get to work on tomorrow's fresh start.  Because kids give themselves, and us teachers mulligans.  Today might have been crazy but tomorrow we can try again and make it better.
source
Happy Thursday,

6 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, the parent's response was something that might push me over the edge (not sure what would happen at that point, but I am positive it's something horrendous). Do you happen to have that sheet in the pic? My school doesn't have anything like that. I'd love a copy.

    I'm having a teeny giveaway that includes a book about manners...you might be able to use it next week. Come on over and enter:)
    Deniece
    http://littlepiggyreads.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-1st-giveaway-starbucks-anyone.html


    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are constantly tattling on someone for cussing. It drives me crazy when you confront them and they say, "I was talking to myself."

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. What a day. I always hate trying to get to the bottom of things like this. Where's a security camera when you need one?

    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool form. I could use one of those, too! AND the security camera.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY.
    And parents who defend their kids or make excuses for them DRIVE ME CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your minor alert form!
    Some days I could be the president of the cuss club!
    Have a great weekend!
    Shannon
    If My Calculations Are Correct

    ReplyDelete