Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Book Review

Last year there was a linky party called 11 in 2011. One of the 11 topics was goals for 2012.  My goal had to do with reading (although a friend told me my goal should have to with joining the online dating world:-)  Anyway I am an avid reader....of mostly kids books and young adult fiction.  Classic literature is a genre I kind of avoid.  So this year I read Persuasion, but Jane Austin.  Goal met:-)  I should probably read some more classic literature, but everyone needs a starting point.  Here is my review of 2012 reading 

Donalyn Miller is my hero when it comes to reading and inspiring other readers.  She is part of the Nerdy Book Club...another of my favorite book blogs.  Her recent post is about Minding the Book Gap.  In addition to avoiding classic literature, I also avoid non-fiction...all non-fiction.  To bridge my current gap, here are some books heading to the top of my stack:

The Great Gatsby
Northanger Abbey
The End of Your Life Book Club
I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had
Happily taking other classic lit or non-fiction suggestions.

Happy Wednesday,

8 comments:

  1. I love me some Donalyn! I met her at a conference I attended last year - as sweet and as smart as can be :) Like you, I cannot do classical literature. I like non-fiction.. but to an extent. The last two books you mentioned seem like good books to check out - thanks for the recommendations! :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do enjoy Jane Austen. Her style is more dense than I'm used to, but her characters are fun to get to know. Enjoy your new reads!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie! I found your blog on the Swimming Into Second Linky for Books for Boys! Can't believe I haven't found you sooner! I am a second grade teacher from Ohio. Looking forward to following you!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I won a blog makeover a while ago and I still LOVE it.

      Delete
  4. You have some interesting book choices there. I love Jane Austen, too!
    Happy New Year, Laurie!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed with all that you've read - I must make more time for reading!!

    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also very impressed at all the titles you've read-I think I read like 4 books last year! :) I didn't even know Tony Danza wrote a book-definitely have to check that out myself. I've heard great things about the End of Your Life Book Club.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete