Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Teacher Week-Tech Tip

Teacher Blogger Week-Day 2
In case you haven't figured this out already, I am a huge reader...and not much of a tech wiz.  But I do know how to find books and how to find books for kids to read.  Here are a few of the very helpful websites I use to find book suggestions.

1)  Your Next Read  I type in a book I read and liked, it then shows me similar books I might also enjoy.  So I typed in For Darkness Shows the Stars and here are the suggestions:
The coolest feature of this site is so fun (if you have it connected to your books from goodreads.)  It takes all the books you have read, makes a map, and then shows you more suggested titles.
2)  Goodreads I use this website to keep track of all the books I have read.  You can also rate and review books as well as read the reviews of people you know or just other people who have read the book.  Books can be sorted into lists as well.
3)  The Stacks Much like goodreads...but absolutely geared toward kids!  A fabulous resource.
4)  Lexile  I like telling parents about lexile.com.  It allows them to put in a lexile range, and subject and then they get a list of books in that range.  Obviously, the range is a guide and not a rule, but I find it helps parents who have no idea how to help their child find good books.

My kiddos who are voracious readers find these tools very helpful.  Hopefully you will too!
Go find something new to read!

Happy Tuesday,
 

3 comments: