Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Must Have Picture Books

The Teacher Wife is having a must have picture book party.  How in the world are all of you narrowing the list to 5!  This is difficult!  Number 1 is easy....I start the year off with it and refer to it all year long.  







1.  Teammates by Peter Golenbeck
The story is about the beginnings of Jackie Robinson but has a big emphasis on Peewee Reese.  (The player with the most to lose with Jackie joining the team, yet was one of the only team members who stood up for him.)  I want my chickadees to treat each other that way.  And...it is about the Dodgers....

2.  Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
A bat who thinks she is a bird and tries her best to be one.  Love this story.  When I was little, I read the Serendipity book, Flutterby repeatedly and Stellaluna always reminds me of it.

3.  That Book Woman by Heather Henson
Who delivers books in all kinds of weather....the pack horse librarian of course.  Great story!  Also good for not taking libraries for granted.

4.  Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
Love this from a teacher's perspective and love watching kids as they listen to it.  (Not a book that can generally be read to a group of primary kiddos in one sitting.)  The follow up book, The Junkyard Wonders is just as lovely.

5.  Couldn't choose between the two of these.  The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything and Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli.  Two holiday specific books.  Little Old Lady gets everybody reading along...."two gloves go clap clap".  Mr. Hatch is just a sweet book about making cheering each other up.

Join up and share your favorites.
Happy Tuesday,
 

7 comments:

  1. Great book choices. I'm not familiar with That Book Woman. I'll have to check it out. Sounds great!
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to use "Teammates" for our Famous Americans unit of study, featuring Jackie Robinson. :) Great choice!

    I have awarded you TWO awards. :) You may have already gotten them before, but I want to give them to you anyway! Come over to my blog to check them out!

    Amanda
    Sweeties In Second

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these books! What a fun linky...I would have a rough time coming up with only five!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list of books! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower and would love it if you could follow me!

    Thanks again for sharing! Can't wait to see more!
    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thank You, Mr Falker and I read it every year. I love the way Patricia Polacco shares such a personal experience. It is such a great message to students who struggle academically or with anything. Teammates is also a favorite of mine. What a great way to teach students to stand up for someone and do what is right.
    Thanks for sharing such great books.

    Antoinette
    http://4321teach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teammates sounds like one I need to get! :) I really liked That Book Woman too-unfortunately, many of my students have few books at home, so they can relate!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Stellaluna! I always read it to my kiddos during Halloween time so that we can make bats :)

    Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
    -Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete