Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Music and Books


Before I join up with the music linky party, I have to share one of the most helpful websites.  Read Kiddo Read, thanks to my friend Sarah, who pinned it for me to find.  It has books sorted by age and then by genre....pretty straight forward and not as exciting as this part....
click the picture....I dare you!

 





The whole list is books geared to boy readers (although I added a bunch of them to my TBR pile)  It is separated by age as well, and give a short description of the book.  All ideas for boy readers make me happy.

Now onto the music linky over at Teaching Maddeness.  I love music, but don't really listen to music that my students are into.....why they don't love Wicked and other musical soundtracks is beyond me:-)  Anyway I am loving what all of you have been posting.  Here are a couple of our favorite songs from last year.
I'm Elmo and I Know It (for obvious reasons, we didn't listen to the original version)
The Skeleton Dance--we loved imitating the skeleton
The other way we use music in the classroom is when we start the day.  At the beginning of the year, I ask my students to bring in a cd with their favorite song, or I look for it on itunes.  (I check lyrics and language ahead of time)  Then I put all the songs into one playlist.  Whoever the student of the day is, we play and listen to their song.  Some of their song choices crack me up and when I hear their song on the radio, or in other places, I immediately think of that student.  


And of course during reading, writing, and art, we play quiet background classical music.  Some of my favorite classical cds.

One of my all time FAVORITE composers!
because the flute is my talent
and some brass...


...

6 comments:

  1. Lots and lots of interesting sounding books for boys in that list! Thanks for sharing it!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I have mostly boys next year. I love the music idea. I use music a lot as a brain break. I hope to have time to link-up...It looks like fun!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 19 boys next year and 17 girls....I little bit more even.

      Delete
  3. Love that list of books for boys! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this linky!

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    I hope that you'll join me for my giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of having the children bring in their favorite music for a CD!! Thanks for linking up to the party!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete