Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bird Beaks

Today we learned about bird beaks.  First we read about different bird beaks.  Then we used different tools to find the best tool for different kinds of food.  It was a blast and kind of entertaining to watch:-)  Each group had three tools and a type of food.  They were to use the tool and figure out which one was most effective, for a variety of food birds eat.
Nectar-straw, chopsticks, or a strainer
Meat-scissors, tweezers, or a nutcracker

Bird Seed-slotted spoon, straw, or eye dropper
Fruit-scissors, tweezers, or a nutcracker
Fish-chopsticks, a knife, or a straw

Nuts-tweezers, scissors, or a nutcracker
After each group tried their tools, they added a tally to the chart.  I gave each group a different colored marker to record their group decision about the best tool.
Our chart of which tool was best at each station.
 

5 comments:

  1. Your lessons are always so meaningful.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! You are always so creative at getting the students involved.

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach
    3-6 Free Resources

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing birds this week, too! I love this activity...I'll have to work it in Friday. Thursday we are going bird watching at our local State Park...Can't wait!!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for finding me today. I am so glad I popped over to check you out! These activities are wonderful! I love that you took your study of birds to the next level!

    Kelley "Following You Back" Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete