Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lap Books 101

Lap Books...an introduction.  Yesterday I shared about our Bird Lap books, and some of you wanted to know about lap books.  I am learning myself, but here is what I have gleaned so far.  
A Lap Book is...
-interactive
-combines mini-books, graphic organizers, and foldables
-a scrapbook
-hands on replacement of worksheets
-a unit study
-a portfolio
-easily adjusted for a variety of ability levels
It kind of makes me thing of a pop-up book, where you can pull, twist, and manipulate things on the pages.


I am loving the material list....a file folder, tape, glue, paper, stapler...all things I have readily accessible.  I have been using Google image search for different foldable ideas.  Oh my are their tons!  Walking by the Way is a blog that has been great for more ideas, and they are sorted by grade.  Right now I am figuring out the information about birds that we really want to include and where to arrange all the pieces.  Here are a few pics of "rough draft thinking". 

The blank page is for information about beaks and feet.

Fun facts and a life cycle wheel.  Sorry it is sideways.
From all my searching, most people using this process are homeschoolers, so I again, I am intrigued by how it will go in the much larger sized group of kiddos. 
Any of you using lapbooks?  Thoughts? 
 

6 comments:

  1. I am wanting to try these laptops too! So many different possibilities!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still a little fuzzy for me. I think I need to see one in person, but I'm very intrigued. (I love that it replaces worksheets. Anything that replaces worksheets is a mighty fine thing!) :)

    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog!! :)

    I HAVE done lapbooks. In fact, I started out doing them for ALL of my Science/Social Studies Units last year. I really liked doing them because it gave the kids a hands-on tool to use for reviewing for our Benchmark Assessments and it was more fun than a worksheet.

    My BIGGEST problem was supplies, mainly the folders. If I'm doing one of these for each of my units, then that 20 x however many standards you end up doing. I ran out of folders, even with parents sending in donations. If it is something you're really interested in, you could possibly add file folders to your supply list for next year. I'd be happy to share my pics and stuff of what I did--I'd have to find it all. haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to show your blog to my co-worker! She was just talking about lap books, and I hadn't heard of them!

    Michelle

    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing that you do these too! I love them. So engaging. I can't wait to see how yours turn out. I'm having no trouble at all personalizing them and putting them together for all of my kids (18).


    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 27, but they have been putting them together as we go. Once we finish a piece, they glue it in. (I don't know if I would attempt that with firsties though:-)

      Delete